Tomato and meatball soupApril 21, 2015
The very best meatballsApril 21, 2015
SLOW COOKED BEEF STEW
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 2 celery sticks - finely sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 carrots cut into bite size portions
- 800 g beef chuck steak - cubed
- 15 ml flour
- 1 can tomatoes
- 300 ml beef stock / stout / red wine
- 4 potatoes - quartered
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- handful of parsley - roughly chopped
- steamed rice - to serve
- Servings: 4
Heat olive oil into a heavy based saucepan and sauté onion, garlic, celery, thyme and carrots until onions are soft and translucent and vegetables are just beginning to soften.
Add cubed beef and flour and sear until meat is well browned. Pour in tinned tomatoes and stock, season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid.
Simmer gently over a low heat for about 2 hours or until meat is soft and tender. Add potatoes and cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
Check seasoning and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with steamed rice and seasonal vegetables.
Recipe reprinted with permission of Food24